Sunday, January 1, 2012

Monster High Doll Clothes... Not the Typical Post


WARNING! This is NOT my typical “MAGGISPATZ” post!
This is craft born of necessity!

Monster High Doll Clothes
Apparently, the hot item for elementary girls this season is the Monster High dolls. At first, I admit, I didn’t see the charm. Then I Googled! As an avid doll collector myself, I immediately was drawn to the posing and dramatic possibilities these dolls have. But as I soon found out, they have no clothes. (Well…Mattel is offering very little.)

Of course, what’s a girl to do then?

Make some clothes! So….I volunteered to make a few things for my nieces’ dolls. It didn’t take long to realize that they are odd dolls indeed. Narrow. No make that SUPER narrow shoulders and chests with huge, twisty guts and butts.

Some clothes are simple. Skirts. (I’ll post some of those later.) But pants and tops are really tricky.
I used a pants pattern from here: http://go-monsterhigh.livejournal.com/6180.html
but found that I needed the elastic to be “too” loose so that it would fit over the dolls’ big hips or else, Velcro as seen in the pictures below. (I do like the jeans though!)


After a few callused fingertips, I decided to look for a smaller pattern on fabric. Then, WALLA! It hit me. Baby socks! A trip to the local Wal-Mart was necessary to purchase the items I decided I needed (Salvation Army will be my next supplier) and then a few cuts and stitches later, one awesome little dress was born.

I’ve outlined the steps I followed below with the pictures. I hope this helps. 

Step 1:
Cut  off the “toes” of the sock. I like the striped socks best because I can “eye-ball” it rather than measure. Just be sure to cut only the “toe”.
Step 2: After you have the “toes” off, turn the sock inside-out. Fold the sock in half side-ways. Not the natural fold, so that the heel becomes a pointed “extra”.

Step 3:  Mark a straight line about 1/4 inch from the point. This will be your stitch line. Again, on a striped-sock, I simply followed the stripe. Stitch straight across. Then, cut off the point close to the stitch line.
  
Step 4: Using little-girls’ hairbands, cut one open and tie into a slightly smaller loop. Slip this elastic loop over the “top” of the sock (where you cut the toe off.) Fold over a scant 1/4 inch and stitch around, enclosing the elastic band. (I had to use you my fingers of the hand opposite my “sewing hand” to keep the stitches constant and the band even with the sock. (Again, notice how much easier it is with a striped sock!)
   

Step 5: Turn the dress right-side out. (first pic is the back, last is the front) I bought these appliques at Wal-Mart as well! Use the smaller ones at the base of the dress. (Follow the instructions on the package).
     
 
Doesn't Goulia look awesome? :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment